Life is Funny, except when it's really not

Musings of a wacky American Muslim, with an obsession for all things literary, Asian pop culture and gummi candy as she lives life embracing both the funny and the not-so-funny.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

[MOVIE] The Great Gatsby


I finally got around to watching The Great Gatsby in theater today. I've been looking forward to this movie for months. I first read the book last summer and I absolutely loved it. When I heard there would be a movie rendition in the Summer, I was giddy with excitement.

At the same time, I was a little reserved. Movies tend to ruin the book and I hate when a book I really love is mutilated by a director. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of the novel. At first, I was "meh" about the modern touches. As I continued to watch, they grew on me and I found that those more modern touches were actually exquisitely done. The problem was that I went into theatre #5 with the expectation for the movie to closest follow the novel. I expected a completed realistic period piece.

Okay, can we talk about DiCaprio? Why is that man so gorgeous? Those eyes! Anyway, he played an amazing Gatsby. The entire cast was nicely chosen and fit their roles. Oh, and the cinematography! It was absolutely gorgeous. I loved the costumes and Gatsby house etc etc. Additionally, the soundtrack was really fun and extremely nice touch.

The Great Gatsby was definitely worth paying $14. The only thing left to do now is though my own 1920esque party that even Gatsby would be proud of. I want to dress up!

No comments:

Post a Comment